Monday, March 15, 2010

Yummy Recipe

I had the day off today, so I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner and turned to Rachael Ray to help me out. This was one of her 30 Minute meals and it looked so good. It sounded kinda weird at first, but wow, it was super delicious!

Chicken-Bacon Waffle Sandwiches


1) Begin by baking the bacon in the oven at 325 for 20 minutes. Put a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet. This is a really easy way to cook bacon I realized! And it's a lot less greasy!
2) Cut chicken breasts in half so that they are thin and pound them out so that they are nice and thin. Cook them on the stove top with a little olive oil and salt/pepper.
3) While the chicken is cooking, make regular waffle batter from Bisquik or something like that, we use the Heart Healthy one. Then add a few sprinkles of nutmeg, black pepper, and a few tablespoons of Parmesean or any grated cheese.
4) Cook the waffles.
5) For the sauce, in a different skillet or pan, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter. Add a tsp. of rosemary and a Tablespoon of flour. Let that thicken then add about a cup and a half of chicken broth. When that has thickened, add a few Tablespoons of maple syrup (or whatever syrup you have on hand, we just used our regular Lite Aunt Jemima or you could use corn syrup)
6) Assemble the sandwiches. Put a fourth of the waffle down, with bacon on top, a chicken breast piece, and another forth of the waffle. Drizzle some of the sauce over top.

It is super yummy and really could be used for any meal!

Cantaloupe Bowl Dessert
She also made dessert which was super simple and yummy too. It was just a half (I used a quarter) of a cantaloupe with the seeds scooped out, but still in the rind. Then she topped it with sherbet, I used yogurt that I stuck in the freezer before dinner to thicken because its what I had on hand. Then she topped it with a peach and raspberry (I used peaches and strawberries) that had sat in some lemon juice and a little bit of sugar. I topped it with a little bit of granola and it was very delicious and a healthy dessert option!


It was really nice to have something different, we kind of end up eating the same thing all of the time just changed slightly! I like to cook and be creative, but I am limited as to what I think to put together! That's why I enjoy her 30 Minute meals so much!

2 comments:

Justine said...

Do you guys cook differently since you've been diagnosed with PCOS? I've been doing weight watchers again, but I'm still gaining weight. I'm so frustrated and I'm not sure what to do.

Karen said...

Yes and no, I still eat a fair amount of carbs because that's what i'm accustomed to, but i've really changed to whole grain everything. I also eat a lot more beans as substitutes for everything and I eat more fruit as snacks as well as dark chocolate instead of carby things. I also just try to limit my cereal intake and eat yogurt instead for breakfasts and stuff. But it's really not easy... I've lost a little weight, but not NEARLY as much as I was hoping with as much as I exercise!