Tuesday, November 9, 2010

RCIA

 After having only 4 candidates/catechumens last year for RCIA, we expected pretty much the same this year.  Don't get me wrong, they were an excellent group of candidates, fun, enthusiastic and eager to learn about the faith.  It was great for our first year being in charge.  In years before, when a staff member was assigned to lead it, the numbers grew every year.  They had time to seek people out and to spread the word.  Last year, we had virtually no way of letting others know about it and had hopes for higher numbers.  We didn't really do anything different this year, but the Sisters and Fr. L at the Center have.  I am so grateful for their diligence with regards to RCIA, they really have made it a priority to ensure a fruitful process.

We are so abundantly blessed with 10 candidates this year.  We more than doubled!  In the last four weeks we have had three new people join us.  It's November and people are still signing up as interested.  It is fantastic!  It makes me smile each week to see the "classroom" filled with people.  I make treats each week and it is becoming increasingly challenging to ensure I make enough (a very good problem to have :-)).

Aside from that we have more teachers this year, basically a different one each week and they have done an amazing job of teaching the Catholic faith.  Without them, Jeremy and I would be overwhelmed with work to do!  In addition, we have the rest of the team that leads the small groups and functions as a liaison between us and the candidates.  These small group leaders are the ones that connect with the candidates, give them a clear Catholic role model and guide them on this journey.  They each have 2-3 candidates assigned to them and these small groups yield such visible faith from the candidates.

I am just so grateful for all of the volunteers that help us with this ministry that is so vital for the growth and strength of the Church.  It is so rewarding to see the transformation of hearts and faith in just two semesters and often times I think that I get more out of it than the candidates do.  I am so glad that we were asked to be a part of this ministry.

No comments: