Sunday, January 4, 2015

Broken

Mya has done it again.  She's paved the way.  Jeremy and I had never broken a bone.  Until now, none of our children had broken a bone.  Leave it to our little crazy child!

And sadly, it wasn't even her fault, and she doesn't even have a great story to tell!

Jeremy had gone to the gym and to poker night.  I was home with 4 sleeping kiddos.  After a long few days (this was the day after we found out that we were not getting the baby), I was ready for bed.

And then Mya screamed.  I quickly ran to her room, assuming she had to go potty since she wouldn't go before bed.  I picked her up and made her walk to the bathroom (after tearing my rotator cuff picking her up out of her bed, I'd learned not to do that anymore with my heavy girl).  I was trying to get her to go quickly so she'd go potty and stop screaming and not wake anyone else up.  I don't know if she tripped on something or on me or if she just stopped moving or what, but suddenly she was on the floor and I was falling on top of her.  I fell just right (or wrong) and landed on her leg.  I heard a pop and she instantly screamed even louder.

I knew right away that I had broken something.  I called Jeremy and my parents and had them all come home so we could take her in.

We took her in, got in a room quickly and settled her down.  They took xrays, got her info, gave her some pain meds and then let us know that she had broken her tibia.  Right under the knee.

Hanging out with mom and dad in the ER.  Of course she had footie pajamas on... That made it interesting.

Her temporary cast

And because she's too young to really tell us what happened, they are obligated to report it to dcfs.  So we were a mess.  I was upset over it being my fault to begin with.  Then they were calling dcfs on me and I was a wreck.  Luckily, the doctor insisted on the phone that it was clear that it was an accident and that Mya was not being abused, they just made a note of it in her file.  The only thing Mya wanted was her mom.  I felt so guilty after it being my fault and all she wanted was for me to comfort her.

They put on a temporary cast and we got her home and into bed.  The next day, I took her to the orthopedist and they put a real cast on her.  She was totally fine by then and was insistent that she wanted pink.

They even put a little "cast" on her baby doll.


She is now quite proud of her pink cast and will gladly tell anyone who will listen all about it and how mommy fell on her...  thanks... She hasn't been in any pain since they put the pink cast on and she has it for 6 weeks.  She's getting around really well and she wants to walk on it.  I keep discouraging that, but I won't be able to hold her off for much longer.

Knee socks have become our new best friend for her other leg.

No comments: